Monday, December 29, 2008

Christmas at the Johnson house!


We started off with Christmas Eve at Matt's sister Becky's house for a big old Johnson family party! It was a blast! The kids had so much fun as you can see and the adults did too. It is always a great time when we get together. We are so happy that we are here in Indiana and can enjoy family gatherings with them.


Then Christmas morning at our house! I love hearing what other people do for Christmas so here it is for us. We have never been big into TONS of presents. We have asked Santa, and he has willingly obliged, to only bring each kid one present and maybe a couple of littler things for their stockings. Then we as parents give each child one present. When they get older we will start the sibling drawing and they can buy a present for one sibling each year.

This is how my parents ran Christmas and I always liked it. "Hunter legend" has it, that it all started when one brother of mine, who shall remain anonymous, tore into each present just to toss it aside and ask for another. (I don't think he reads my blog, so its okay. If not, sorry Doodles!!)
Just kidding honestly, I think it was all of us kids in the family.. but irregardless, my parents started doing it that way to help us be more grateful and I think its a great idea!
We start off with a prayer and a little devotional about our Savior, it sets a really nice mood for the day!

This year with the economy and all, I tried to simplify even a little more. When Ellery wrote to Santa that she wanted a blanket, I got an idea! So I looked through my hoards of material that I buy on sale for baby quilts, and I found that I had enough to make a bigger quilt for each of the kids for their present from Mom and Dad. The only bad part was that I had this brilliant idea about 2 1/2 weeks before Christmas, so it was crazy sewing time around here.
I was really excited about them because with my time shortage, I had no choice but to make them right in front of the kids. I had to keep "fibbing" to Ellery and Bailey when they asked me who they were for. But it made me happy, because each time they asked me who they were for and I fibbed, they would say something like, "I wish I could have a blanket like that!" To which I would cruely respond.. "Maybe next year!"

I was so happy, they were really happy about them. They did however, scold me for fibbing!

It was a great day! We just hung out as a family, delivered some goodies and had a big Christmas dinner. The kids were happy and fun and it was just wonderful! I love Christmas and being together is my favorite part!
I am just so thankful for my life!

8 comments:

J Fo said...

Dev, I'm seriously impressed by you cranking out all of those blankets in 2 1/2 weeks! I especially love Gus'!

Harmony said...

I don't think I could make one blanket in 2 weeks, let alone five! Great job!

Kallas Family said...

Those blankets are adorable!!

ike said...

those blankets are awsome. I still have my quilts my mom made me when I was a kid. they are still my favorites. your kids will always love them I'm sure.

easleyfamily said...

Way to go on the blankets! I'm so impressed! Looks like you guys had lots of fun! PLEASE call when you come to town for a visit...we miss our Ellie!! BTW, Photoscape...best collages ever!

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

Those are wicked awesome blankets. It would take me at least a year to be able to do something like that.

Bertasso Family said...

Hello Johnson family! What a great Christmas for your family. Looks like we got our Santa pics done at the same place :) We're sure glad you are here!

Hunter Haven said...

Could my grandchildren be any cuter, more adorable or darling? I ask the cyber world, seriously could they? Of course not! They are pure heaven on earth.