Friday, April 23, 2010

Just let it out, right?

I hesitate to write things sometimes because I hate sounding like a whiner. I absolutely know that there are a million things worse to go through in this life than what we are going through, I don't want anyone to think I am making a mountain out of my bump in the road. But this is my blog and my journal really since I am not the best journal-er so here is where I am writing this. You just got to vent a little sometimes, right?

It has been hard for me to loose this baby. After Gus, I wanted another one so badly and Matt wasn't sure. Then he had a very spiritual experience that we should have another one (a girl he was sure!?) I felt like I had won the lottery I was so excited. I don't know what it is, I am addicted to that feeling! Not so much the pregnancy part, but bringing new life into the world, adding another spirit to your family, watching as your children reunite with this precious little soul and these bonds of love reconnect...it is magical to me, bliss! I just think it is the greatest thing in the world and the whole reason we are even here...FAMILY! All these different relationships we have going on in our family, it is just wonderful! I am certainly not saying that everyone in the world should have a big family, but for me it is the best!

There have been a couple of things that have started to get me down. I have been asked more than once "why do you name your miscarriages" that just tears right to my heart. At first it makes me feel like I am crazy and maybe I am making too much of things and how far along I was. But then something that my Aunt gave me when we lost Emma when I was almost 7 months along really reassures me. Brigham Young said "when the mother feels life come to her infant it is the spirit entering the body" That gives me great comfort because I felt both of our babies that we lost move around. I love when you get to hear the heartbeat. I love feeling a baby move within me, I don't know, things just change then and that baby becomes so real to me and I am bonded forever and ever and ever. Even carrying Vince for a little less than 5 months, I just feel a connection.

I don't think I am totally crazy because other mothers I have met who have lost babies as far along as me feel the same way. Plus I got to hold those little ones. Each with perfectly formed little bodies. I still can see them, their little faces and hands so delicate. Anyway, I only know what I think and to me, these are babies I will reunite with after this life is over.

Somedays I just can't believe that we really aren't going to have a baby this summer, sometimes I just hold my belly and cry. Ah! I just wish we were. I feel so blessed that Matt loves me so. Almost loosing me in this life was enough to devastate him and I know he can't forget that feeling. He watched as my life almost slipped away and I know it makes sense for him to not want to go there again, to not have any more children. I just can't help that I still do. Desperately, after all this. It might not even be possible, Doc isn't sure yet and we are still doing tests. At the very least, we would be facing the same complications during delivery almost certainly. But I believe in miracles and the Lord's will above all. I know to Matt that is just a little too scary, what can I say...he kind of likes me :)

Ahhh....life is so wonderful. Thank heavens for things that bring us to our knees, literally, and offer us opportunity to become closer to the Savior. I have and I've learned so much. I am so very thankful for this experience. I feel so loved by my Father in Heaven, I am grateful. My life is wonderful, not just a little, SO wonderful. I love my children and my hubby more than I can express. I know I am right where I am supposed to be, home with these monkeys teaching me lessons every day. They make me blissfully happy. Lets be honest, they drive me crazy a little too, but hey, I kind of like crazy :)

The Gospel is true and families are forever, that is about all I know!

13 comments:

Andrea said...

I love that this blog post because it is REAL. Sometimes it's hard to talk about the tough times we have, especially on a blog, but I think it connects us with others, and that's exactly what this post has done.

It's the tough times that make the good ones even that much sweeter. But I still wish you didn't have to go through the tough ones! Just know your Crunchie friend in Utah is thinking and praying for you!

Amy Lindstrom ~ YourLifeUncommon.com said...

Dev, OF COURSE YOU NAME THEM! OF COURSE! If people want to get technical....you did not have a miscarriage. You delivered a Stillborn baby. When a pregnancy goes as long as yours it technically becomes "still birth".

That being said, my twins were born a little earlier than your Emma, and I'm not sure how far along you were for sure with Vince. Their mission was different. Dawson's mission was only to last 4 1/2 yrs. Mallory's...well, hopefully until she is old and gray!

I know TOTALLY what those babies are like when they are born. Their little bodies are full of spirit with their very own pre-existing personality. They are part of our Eternal Family...therefore, they GET to have a name.

I thought about you all day yesterday. I can't tell you what you have done for my spirit right now. Then to read this post about your "addiction" :) It makes me feel the urge not to give up.

You know, when Jake (who is now 10) was 1 1/2 I had a VERY strong feeling that we would have a little boy named Sam. When Dawson & Mallory were born, we were going to name Dawson Sam, but it wasn't him.

I am convinced now that the Lord gave that to me so that NOW when it would be easy to be done and not have anymore after all we have experienced, little Sam would weigh on my mind.

Maybe that is why your hubby is the one that had the feeling about the GIRL, but a boy came next! The Lord likely knew that HE would need that comfort and reassurance after such a scary experience. :)

TheShippenFamily said...

I agree you should name them, you held them in your arms! They were not miscarriages, you had to deliver both of those sweet babies!
I know how much you want more children. I do know that whatever choice you and Matt have to make you will have comfort from the Lord.
I hope you have the answers you need soon.
Love ya!

Erin said...

oh dev, we just love you guys. you vent girlie! so your friends everywhere can be with you & your definitely not making a mountain out of your bump.

and you name those sweet babies! you delivered them & held them in your arms. i love that quote too by Brigham Young.

and i totally understand wanting more of those sweet babies! i never thought i would actually crave another little one! and i'll admit, it was pretty hard for me after morgan to finally decide to try again, but i finally had comfort & peace & knew that whoever Heavenly Father sent us, it is right for our family & the journey that we are suppose to travel together. and having another morgan would be pretty hard, but she is great;). i love how each of my babies are so different & so amazing each in their own beautiful way.

i know that whatever decision you & matt make or He does, the Lord will be by your side.

love you tons & miss you all like crazy. you & your sweet family are amazing!

Michelle said...

If there is anything I KNOW for certain it is that those sweet little spirits are real. They are part of your eternal family and they are precious.

Don't let the comments about "naming miscarriages" get you down. You know the truth, and you should most definitely name them. They are forever part of your family and they deserve names.

I'm so glad that you wrote this post. I've been thinking about you a lot lately. Thank you for sharing how you feel. Sure do love you!

The Johnson Family said...

Wow Dev, you are amazing! I'm still trying to figure out after 10+ years how it is that I got someone with such uncommon faith and strength to marry me. You amaze me more and more as the days and weeks and months and years go by. My greatest pleasure in life is you, and of course the children too! I love you honey! ~Matt

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

Thank you for sharing this with us all. You are an amazingly strong woman.

Huish Family said...

You've been through some tough stuff, my friend. Lots of emotions involved!Thanks for keeping it real, and for your faith and example. Miss you and love you.
Tiff

Lindsay and Mike said...

Oh Devyn! You are just awesome...plain & simple. I want to be you when I grow up!!! You are so strong & have such great faith! I know that you will get to raise little Emma & Vince someday. They must be pretty dang awesome spirits if they didn't even need to be tested in this life...and they chose YOU to be their mother! That, right there, says what a great person you are! You are my hero! Thank you for this post!

Amy Lindstrom ~ YourLifeUncommon.com said...

Hey! Your post is up today! I hope you like it! :) Love you so much!

http://yourlifeuncommon.blogspot.com/

Loftus' said...

WOW!! You are amazing and have such a great perspecitve on life. Thank you for your example and your words - truly inspiring! Hope all is continuing to go well with your family. I look forward to some pics of your great garden. I was totally jealous last year - oh well!!

Kelli Proctor said...

aww..Devyn! I LOVE YOU! Of corse its ok to be sad and mourn! It is a big loss and a VERY hard thing to go through..I am so sorry it had to happen..but you are right you do have a wonderful life and a WONDERFUL family and TONS of friends who love you! Thank goodness families are forever! YOu are so awesome...love you...

The Gibby's said...

You are so inspiring Dev. I can't imagine your pain, but I am amazed at your optimism and strength. Thinking of you lots....