Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Get your Game Face On

Soccer has started again. This year Taite gets to play too and she is so very excited to be a big girl! I must admit I was wondering how Taiter would like it, she is just so...twirly and prancy. I didn't know how she would really like sports.
She was enjoying practice and then game time came. The whole game she was scowling. Matt and I said to each other that we were worried she wasn't having any fun, she looked angry actually. At half time I went to see how she was doing.
Me- Taite are you okay?
Taite- Yeah Mommy!
Me- Are you sure you're okay, you look upset?
Taite- I'm not upset! I'm having FUN!
Me- Oh, I thought you looked mad.
Taite- I'm trying to get the ball Moooom!
Silly me, she just had her game face on.

I am just glad she is having fun. I could do without the schedule though. Practice Monday and Wednesday for an hour, I think that is a little much for 4-year-olds. Ellery and Bailey have practice Tuesday and Thursday for an hour. The park is a 20 minute drive each way. Games on Saturday are at least 30 minutes away, lots of driving all week but oh well fun fun FUN!

A little side note about Bailey and Elle. Bay is SO aggressive when she plays! The joy it gives me is unreal. I was a scrappy athlete and it makes me so happy to see her ON it! Here is an example. She and Ellery are on a team together and they had a scrimmage against a boys team. Bailey is the youngest and smallest on her team and yet she would go up to these bigger boys and lower her shoulder and give them a nice check. I love it. Matt went down and asked her what she was doing, not really trying to hide his delight. She couldn't really put it into words, just got a big smile on her face and said "Just, well you know!" Oh we know Bailey, especially when playing against boys you gotta let them know you aren't afraid of them. She ended the game after it was over by running up to the biggest boy on the field and just giving him a nice bump with her shoulder. Ha! I know some people are not pleased with this parenting, but I love it!
Then there is Ellery, she is so intense and focused. She just gets in a zone and I love to watch her concentration. She listens to everything the coach says very carefully and then gets out there and follows through, I love this about her personality! She is getting really good and gets plenty physical herself, it is so fun to watch her play....all of them play!

2 comments:

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

The combination of your and Matt's DNA is bound to create some pretty amazing athletes. Even when the child is twirly.:)

Lindsay and Mike said...

Haha! Bailey makes me laugh! As I was reading this, I could totally see her doing everything you said. Hilarious!!