Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Gus

1 year....REALLY?!?! How can it be? No way this kiddo has been here that long! Maybe that is because every second with him is SO stinkin fabulous that time just flies right by!

Augustus Quentin Johnson
October 15th, 2008
9 lbs. 11 oz. 22 inches long!
My baby Gus

Now he is 24.5 lbs. and 32 1/4 inches tall!
75% for weight and 98% for his height!


Gus is so adorable, happy, giggly and OvErFLoWiNg with Energy!

He LOVES to snuggle and give kisses, but loves even more to wrestle! If you are on the floor, beware that Gus will be diving onto you at any moment, growling happily all the way! This is how we know he is 100% Johnson through and through.

He is already sassy and strong-willed. Changing his diaper is the worst thing in the world because he wiggles like crazy and HaTeS to sit still for it!

He is everywhere and into everything!

He started walking a month ago and boy can he move!


My little Gus man is all around special to me. It was such a shock to me when we found out we were pregnant with him! It was a hard pregnancy with lots of difficult situations with all the moving & separation and other stuff I have conveniently blocked out! His delivery was very difficult for me and not like the others, but I know it was all for a reason because without a doubt it was one of the most spiritual experiences of my life. Gus is a joy and even though we weren't expecting his arrival so soon, I am eternally grateful that he came right down to me. We all adore him!

The other day was awful. I had a very loud prompting and ran to the stairs just in time to see him at the top of the stairs. I screamed his name and ran to try and stop him and missed. It was a terrifying experience because there is a wall on one side and the other side of the staircase is open all the way down, straight down to a tile floor. When I missed his foot and could see him heading right over the edge toward a 7 1/2 foot drop, I dove head first down after him and by the grace of the Lord grabbed his jacket collar before he went over. I had him, but couldn't stop myself of course and we both fell all the way to the bottom. He was miraculously flipped around so he pretty much just got a bumpy ride on his bum in the crook of my arm the rest of the way down. I crashed at the bottom, but luckily he just landed on me.

It was the scariest experience for me because I truly thought I was going to watch my baby fall to his death head first off the edge. It wasn't a second thought that if he was going down, so was I. It was just one of those moments where you can briefly see so clearly. I love him beyond words, all of my children and am acutely aware of how blessed I am and know what a gift it is to have each one of them in my life. I am inexpressibly grateful for my family.
I am so thankful for his safety and thankful for the sweet whisperings of the Spirit. I know if I hadn't heard that prompting Gus would have gone over the side for sure.

Needless to say, the stairs problem is being remedied immediately...its a sore subject!
Just look at this face...what's not to LOVE?!

We are going to be having a party for him in a couple weeks when Mamau gets here, so look forward to cake pictures...love those!

14 comments:

Big Boy said...

Great post!! He is a special little guy. I particularly enjoy the wrestling and how he walks around saying "Guh Guh Guh". He's gonna be a lotta fun!1

stacey said...

happy birthday gus! what a great post. i am so glad you two are ok!! yikes.

The Farrell Family said...

scary! Glad you two are ok! He is such a cutie! Happy birthday to Gus!

Megan said...

Happy Birthday Gus. I can't believe that he is already one. I'm glad he was okay after the fall. I hope you didn't get hurt yourself!

Katie McCaul said...

Happy birthday Gus! That year has went by fast...he is such a cute kid.

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

What a cutie. I am so glad you listened to the Spirit, that is scary. I hope the stair situation is remedied quickly. Happy birthday to the little big guy.

Lindsay and Mike said...

What a cutie patootey! What a scary story, but with a happy ending! Just goes to show you how much our Heavenly Father loves us & is aware of each of us and our various needs.

J Fo said...

Holy Moly! You must have a bruised tushy. I got chills just reading that story. Glad you're both well. What a cute kid you have. He's got such a joyful spirit about him. Don't you guys want to come to So. Ut for Thanksgiving?!

The Johnson Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Johnson Family said...

Ah!!! I would LOVE to come to So. Ut. anytime! Do you know I still haven't even seen the house? Not fair! I miss you all so much, are your parents coming down or are you and Sarah heading up for Thanksgiving? Give everyone hugs from the long lost favorite (right?!) cousin!
We were both alright, thank heavens. I went face first though, so my shoulder and side got all the bruisage (probably just made that word up, but oh well)

Kelli Proctor said...

So happy birthday to GUS! What a little stud! And wow! Scarey story! I am so glad you listened to the spirit! Scarey! You are such an awesome mom Dev!

Haskins said...

Wow it seems like they grow up so fast!!! He is so cute!! I love all of his pics!

Michelle said...

Wow, what a great post. You made me cry. I am so glad you were able to catch him, what a scary experience. He really is a cutie. Happy Birthday Gus!!

Loftus' said...

Seriously - your kids are just so dang cute! That was such a sweet post - glad you guys were ok - I bet your heart just sunk! Happy Birthday Gus!! Miss you guys!