Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Mr. Mom

Well I am hijacking Dev's blog again, hopefully I don't piss off more people again. Like I care. Anyway the rhetoric on this one should be a little more palatable to everyone, but if its not, oh well.....


Dev flew out last Friday the 16th for her grandfather's funeral. I suspected I was going to be busy, but I didn't realize exactly how challenging it was going to be to finish up on some very important office work, take care of the kids, prepare lessons and talks for church, all while not burning the house down. Usually Dev harasses me about keeping the house clean on the 1 or 2 times she has ever left town because she knows I kind of let it go and then I clean up the last day (okay, more like the last hour) before she comes home. Well this time I made an effort to keep up even with the cleaning the whole time she was gone. I forgot to do laundry, I don't know how to do hair for my 3 daughters other than brush it out and pull it back to keep it out of the food, we had Hamburger Helper for the first time in our family's history (Dev is quite the cook which contributes to my weight problems, but I think that deep down she's a chubby chaser--ha ha!), I forgot that Monday might be a make up day for snow days and didn't send the kids to school, and did I mention I had important deadlines to meet for work too? Seriously, it took me about twice the effort to do half as good a job as what Dev does. We all miss Mom and can't wait for her to get back. I am tired!!

It was however, a lot of fun to have time with my children and yell and scream and run around, do some sledding, have some alone time with Cyrus and some alone time with Taitem. We are all good friends, and our time alone has been very, very enjoyable. Its fun to spend time with the little people and see their personalities and get to know them better. Some might think I'm crazy, but I enjoy alone time with my children. They are hilarious little people! You're a good momma Dev, we love you and miss you, now hurry home!

5 comments:

Erin said...

Matt you're a great Dad! I know you can't wait for Dev to get back though! I sure wish we'll be able to see you guys soon!!!

TheShippenFamily said...

Dev is super MOM!! We all agreed on that at our breakfast saturday.
I bet your kids loved having a Mr Mom for a few days!!
BTW Jay is envious of your job. He thinks it sounds great!

Kelli Proctor said...

MATT! I am so proud of you! Sounds like you did a fantastic job! And Hamburger Helper? Matt, if I know you are an awesome cook! This is coming from the guy who makes fantastic homemade (might I add) tortillas? Dev is a great cook though, I am still waiting for that quiche recipe...its hard to keep up with her though huh? She is pretty amazing, I have to agree! Although I was waiting, and waiting for a visit from her and never saw her! (sad face). No really I totally understand, I am so sorry for your loss, I am glad you got to see your family too. Hopefully we will get to see you next time! Love you guys!

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

How can it piss anyone off that you realize what an amazing job your wife does? I think we all agree. You're a great dad as well, seriously.

Kelli Proctor said...

you are fine! I totally understand! When Tina is here we bearly ever let her out of our sight, let alone her going and visiting any friends! ha! So dont even worry about it, you were here for family this week, it was way more important...love you!