Thursday, January 29, 2009

Opa



I went home to Utah last week for his funeral services. It was a hard goodbye. I love my Opa very much and I am happy that his suffering is over, but we sure will miss him. The funeral was wonderful and the spirit was very strong. I am grateful for the gospel to help us through these things.Opa was the most patriotic man I know. He was passionate about our country and instilled this in my Mom and then me and my siblings from a very early age. He was a wonderful example and served our country with honor in the Marines. I loved to listen to his stories about his military service. He enlisted in the Marines shortly after Pearl Harbor and served in the Pacific Theater, mostly in Japan I think. Then after the war was assigned in peace keeping in China. He had some crazy experiences, his service makes me proud.

He loved guns of all kinds and gave me my first gun when I was 10. He was a tough old guy and I loved him very much. He adored his great grandkids and loved when they would come over. Cyrus really loved to visit him and would always walk right in and give him a hug and then hang on his walker.

My favorite thing was when any of the kids gave him a kiss or hug he would say "Boy, that is some Good Sugar!" I think I will say this to my kids now, just to remember him by.

Love you Opa!


I just put this picture on because I found it this week going through some pictures of Opa and I think my Mom is FOXY!!

6 comments:

Erin said...

That's very sweet Devyn! He sounds like an amazing man. Different note...I don't think we'll be moving to Indiana though! How are you liking it there?

Sarah said...

what a nice tribute. :) sounds like a great man.

The Farrell Family said...

Sorry for your loss Dev. He sounds like a wonderful man.

Lindsay and Mike said...

You look like you mom! Holy cow!

J Fo said...

What a great tribute to a great man. That must have been a bitterweet visit home.

Your mama is GORGEOUS!

Sarah said...

Dev, I've been meaning to send you and your mom a note for weeks. I guess it hasn't happened yet, so I'll leave you a comment. I was so sorry to hear about Opa. I remember going to their house when I was little. What a great man, and I'm glad I got to meet him.

P.S. I've always known Aunt Diane is a foxy lady, but that picture is further proof. Love it.