Sunday, August 23, 2009

One Year

We have officially been Hoosiers for one year! I can't believe how fast it has gone by in some ways, how slowly in others. Let's see, one year ago was....well, only one way to say it, it was HELL! Matt moved out 8 weeks before us leaving me with the 4 kids, pregnant, awful pinched nerve, early contractions, spotting, packing a house, cleaning a house...ahhhh thank heavens that all ended! Then we made the big move and it has been an interesting year.

Of course the highlight was having Gus! That will always be the first thing I think about during this time period is adding that little angel to our lives! He is my little man and oh how I love him. He is our true Hoosier!

Moving here to Indiana has been a very big learning experience. First and foremost is being able to be by Matt's family, I think they are so amazing. I LOVE them! It has been so fun to be at all the family things we used to miss out on. Watching the kids get to know each other better, they have become very fast friends with their cousins. My fam in Utah has been having Family Home Evening as an extended family for over 30 years now each Fast Sunday and I miss it. We decided to start inviting Matt's family over for dinner on the first Sunday of each month. It has been awesome. This is where our now famous DodGeBaLL games started! The Johnson fam has definitely been one of the biggest blessing about our move.

The very next on my list kind of surprised me. I knew it would be great, I just didn't know how GrEaT! Our little Plymouth Branch has been such an uplifting part of my life this last year. When Mattie told me we were going to be attending a branch I thought that there might be some adjustment..I'll be honest maybe even a little sacrifice involved. Giving up some luxuries we take for granted in Utah. Having plenty of neighbors who are in your ward to help out when needed. Your Visiting Teachers & Home Teachers right around the corner. Only having to walk 2 minutes to do your own Visiting Teaching instead of a 30 minute drive one way to visit one sister. The Church isn't a stone's throw away for sure. We are minus a true chapel (most RS rooms are bigger!), cultural hall, large hallways, foyers, pews (definitely miss with Cyrus!) an organ, pulpit, choir seating & mother's lounge to name a few. It is kind of funny that our branch covers two time zones and is probably 40 miles wide by 50 miles deep!


There aren't usually enough people to cover all the callings, a full presidency is extremely rare, actually I don't think any of the auxillaries have a full presidency. Poor Matt is the YM president and has no counselors or a secretary, but he did just barely get a scout master YAY!! We are luckier in our RS presidency, we are only minus a secretary. There are only 11 kids in primary I think, 11 that come regularly any way.

What I have come to learn and honestly treasure....none of that matters. The Church is as true here in Plymouth as it is anywhere. I always knew that, but it has been beautiful to see it in action. We are surrounded by some of the most wonderful people I have ever met. There are no age barriers, no groups, nothing that gets in the way of the Spirit and Love. I remember the first day we came in, I think every single person in the branch gave me a hug. Our compassionate service leader, who is in her mid 80's, came up to me and said to call for any reason! She was worried about me and all the moving in my condition...I knew she meant it too when she offered to babysit.

This picture actually makes it look bigger than it is, it is probably a 1/4 the size of a regular meeting house.
We have already seen what it has done for our girls as they get used to usually being the only member around. They love to share their testimonies and have offered Book Of Mormons to several of their friends already!
We have the missionaries over often and love to meet and support them.
People cling to their testimonies and the principles of the Gospel. They hang on to survive out here where we are so few. It is challenging and very rewarding.
I LOVE the Plymouth Branch!

Worst for last. I miss my family so painfully bad. Sometimes It just makes me cry. I love my parents and just wish I could hug them whenever I want. When I would have a bad day or week, I would just load the kids up and head to my mom's for a break. Being with her, sharing our friendship would just lift me right back up. She is my best friend and therapist all in one, you know the motherly advice I am talking about. I miss her. My Dad has always been my hero and I miss going to him for advice and a tight squeeze when ever I needed. I miss him, he was the example that made me determined to find a man like Matt. It hurts. I am a grown woman, but I need my Mom and Dad. Most of you know how great my parents are, it is truly hard to be away from them and Logan, Megan and Lloyd...the whole fam damily!

But, we are supposed to be here in Indiana, that much I know. I have fallen in love with many of the things we've discovered living out here. I am a country girl. I love the country! I wish we lived even further out in the country!

4 comments:

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

I can't believe it's been a year. You guys have made the most of it and accomplished so much. I'm sure you are such a blessing to that little branch and to Matt's family.

J Fo said...

Goodness, you got me a little teary here. I totally understand the feeling of knowing what you're doing is right for you, but still missing family. I mean, ALL of your family is amazing! Especially your cousins! ;)

The Johnson Family said...

Jess, I do indeed have FANTASTIC cousins!!! I miss you all SO much!

Hunter Haven said...

Now I'm crying like a baby. I miss my Devyn more than she misses me. She is my "Devyn from heaven" who literally completed my life. I have never had to worry or guard my words or thought process with her. She finishes my sentences better than my husband of 34 years. She knows my heart, my strengths and worst of all weaknesses, yet never puts me down or pushes me away.

Each time I am over worked, tired or stressed, I daydream of escaping to a place that will bring me the peace and comfort that I need. These retreats use to involve the ocean or Germany. Now all I want is to fly to my Devyn asap!! I love you dearly Devyn!