Thursday, September 25, 2008

Pre-Game Jitters for an old Pro like Me?

Yes, yes its true even after all these babies I am still so nervous before the baby gets here. I always have to kind of get myself mentally ready for a while for what happens on Delivery Day, I don't care who you are, once you are in all that pain the drugs sound good to anyone. I have to build up my conviction so I don't cave! But I have really been so nervous and anxious this time! Up all night worrying- its the middle of the night right now.

I think that its different this time, obviously because of all the stress and physical exhaustion we've been through this summer with our big move and just how much harder this pregnancy has been, but there was one thing I wasn't counting on adding so much anxiety to my life... finding a new doctor!

Someone please tell me when we lost any control as the "patients"? Isn't it still our body and our baby? I knew it would be frustrating, I guess to find a new doctor, especially since I LOVE my Dr. Nance back in Utah, and I know that I am picky- I know what I want after all the pregnancies- but this experience I have had has been rediculous.

First- I guess a rule of small town life that I didn't expect.... limited options! The closest hospital only offers you 2 choices in who will deliver your baby, yes only 2 choices. So before I knew that and kept getting "recommended," highly recommended to one doctor, I thought wow everyone loves that Doctor! Little did I know that he had a 50% chance of being everyone's "favorite." Kind of diminishes all the raving reviews! I decided to travel a little further and keep looking!

Second- Like I said I know I am picky, but don't we have that right as patients, paying for a service. I know they are Doctors, but still don't they work for us? I must be up in the night on that one. I called several places inquiring about the doctor and I received some interesting responses.
*One place I called actually told me as I was asking some questions that were important to me, "Do you want an appointment with the doctor or not?" Oh, oh I am sorry, am I bothering you?

*Another place that I asked some questions about, the receptionist was getting a little history from me and when asked if I had an epidural and I said I have never had one, she said "Oh that really isn't his favorite way to do things, but its okay he'll still work with you." Sorry, not his favorite way to do things? Still work with me? What?

*Then, I was at an appointment at one clinic and was told that under no circumstances do they induce labor before 41 weeks unless there is a problem with the baby or the mother. I explained my history of big babies and always having to be induced and expressed that I would not be interested in waiting past 40 weeks only to have to be induced anyway. The only thing that does for me is to let that baby get even bigger. Isn't 9-9 1/2lbs enough? My babies would stay in there forever if we let them. She said that there was no way for me to know what my body will do. I said I was fairly confident that I knew how my body generally works with labor and that I have kind of a pattern going. She looked at me and dryly said "Patient preference is not really one of our criteria for deciding to induce." I said that I am not "induction happy" I gladly give it until 40 weeks, but I don't see the point going past that with my history. Again she said firmly "We don't induce until 41 weeks" ...I guess I am just along for the ride!

Oh well, I decided on someone and I am sure that everything will go fine! I just have to settle down and get ready! Its all worth it in the end any way right! Look at some of my cute little newborns!

9 comments:

Megan said...

Oh Dev...I am having anxiety for you. Why don't you just come back here to have your baby!!! That probably isn't really an option but I can't imagine how frustrating it would be. Good luck!

Lindsay and Mike said...

Yes, I agree with the above post...time to move back to Utah!

Tiff said...

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time finding the right doctor. We forget that we live in baby central here in Utah and that we have so many great doctors to choose from. Stay strong and don't let those doctors sway you in your decisions. By the way you are amazing for going natural! I work in the mother baby dept. at AF hospital and not many moms can do it no matter how determined they are. Way to go!

Kallas Family said...

no epidural?? you are amazing!!

Loftus' said...

hahaha, Yes!! - there are still women out there willing to give it a try the old fashioned way - good for you, I have never done an epidural either - too many scary stories to even try one. It's funny to hear that receptionists, nurses and docs think they know more about us than we do - how many kids have you had?!?!?! DUH!! Good luck, I hate the end, but it is totally worth it when they're here!!

Deidre said...

Oh Dev, I can relate completely. Do you know you were my inspiration for having both of my kids completely natural? I'm sure this will go as smooth (or hard, lets be honest) as the other five. However, I had Gray in SLC and Layla in small town USA (Richfield) and my experience believe it or not was better with Layla. They are one-on-one with you, they dimmed the lights, turned on music, let me walk around, and take a bath before Layla came. By the way, I also had to be induced with both kids-Just tell the doctor, not the nurses, that you know what your body can handle. I KNOW you can do it. Hang in there!

The Johnson Family said...

Oh you know I'll never give in. I just have a hard time with them telling me I have to let that little goober grow for and extra week--and then be induced anyway!! Now watch, just because I am griping this baby will be my smallest! Wouldn't that be great- I'm just shooting for under 9 come on for once! Doesn't Matt have any small genes in there anywhere???

J Fo said...

Stick to your guns! You'd think that they would be a little more accompodating. Finding a new doctor is a crummy thing to have to worry about when you 10 minths pregnant! ;) Sheesh...but this baby will come either way, right? Good Luck!

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

Okay, here is my priceless advice. You could birth at home.:-) It's legal in Indiana, but only with a nurse or doctor, no lay-midwives. You could hire a doula. She can deal with the hospital staff and Dr. during your delivery so you don't have to and she can help you with the pain, etc. When I gave birth to my son 12 years ago I was treated like I was stupid and insane for wanting to go natural. The nurse at the hospital kept coming in and offering me pain medication even though I had told her I was doing it natural. I really wanted to harm her. It's tough to do it without a good support system, but with you having done it before I'm sure it will be the best yet. I'm sure the Dr. will listen to you about being induced where a staff member might not. Good luck, it will be perfect.