Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A June Morning

I get up at 5:30, calm and relaxed. I read my scriptures. I do my hair as best I can with my clumsiness in the hair-styling department. I have to be out the door on time. My Mom and I are in the car with all our essentials packed. As we drive we have a wonderful little chat, memorable and emotional. We head north up I-15 as I have a million times, rounding the point of the mountain when there pops into view a beautiful silvery sight, did you know the Jordan River Temple has a silver lining? Check it out some time.

I arrive on time much to his surprise, we have wagered over my tardiness. We meet him in the foyer and an excitement fills my heart like I have never before experienced. As we sit with the Temple President we hold hands and catch each other's eyes occasionally. My joy begins to over-flow. My Mom helps me dress and prepare, I cherish this, it is priceless.

The greatest experience in my life, sitting with my Mattie in the Celestial Room, moments away from becoming eternal companions. I look at him and for the first time I feel it is a recollection, a remembrance from somewhere long ago.

This step in life, leaving your parents to join yourself to a man, a rite of passage. It isn't scary, it isn't sad. I will always be their little girl and I know they approved, they are delighted with Matt. This peace is imperative.

Kneeling across the altar from this wonderful man, there is the confirmation I was hoping for. The doubtless affirmation that I have made the right choice in marrying this man.
I am too eager, I answer the question before the question is completed...in a hurry to exuberantly reply that I want to be with this man for all of time and eternity! Funny now.

Our sealer counsels us to have nicknames in our family and gives many other words of advice, we listen. This precious older man keeps calling me "Divine" instead of Devyn. I joke that it is appropriate :) My family gently makes the corrections, over and over and over.

These 10 years later it is appropriate, our marriage is divine.
The day went off without a hitch, no problemos, just joy! Every minute since then has been a blessing and a gift.

One June morning that changed my forever.
Happy Anniversary to my Hoss.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Ahhh Dev!! You two are so cute! Happy Anniversary!

Erin said...

so sweet! happy anniversary:)

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

Love it. That's a great story. I have no memories of the actual ceremony. I can't remember what the sealer said or what I said. I assume I said yes. Happy Anniversary.

Hunter Haven said...

Oh my goodness! What an appropriate and fitting tribute to Matt, that speaks volumes about my divine Devyn now and then, too.

Devyn, you have always been so mature beyond your years especially in spiritual matters.

I can't wait for our Mexico celebration: Max's 5 yrs, your 10th and your old parent's 35th anniversaries. 2010 is a very good year!

Love to both of you, Mom

Lindsay and Mike said...

Ahhh...that was so sweet! Happy anniversary!

Big Boy said...

Ah Dev, that was a great day!! Lots of fun!! I admit, I was very surprised to see you on time :) I love you babe, thanks for saying yes!!