Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Big Baptism Day

Ellery was baptized today, what a GREAT day! It is something you think about for a long time, but once it finally gets there it is just more than you could have imagined. Ellery is such an amazing child and wonderful daughter, words just can't put into words how much I love her. I am so proud of her. She has always been a very obedient girl who truly wants to do what is right. Matt and I are so happy that she has made this big decision and is so willing to obey her Father in Heaven. It was really special that her Birthday fell on a Sunday and such a nice perk out here in "the mission field" that we could baptize her right on her birthday! No waiting for Stake baptism day.

Here she is all ready to go. We have obviously been talking A LOT about baptism in the months leading up to this big day. I asked her recently if she was nervous and I was surprised to hear her say yes. She has just seemed so excited that it never dawned on me that she might be apprehensive. I was worried a little. She quickly explained "I just don't want to do anything wrong." I started to think "deep". Was she worried about making decisions after she is baptized? She hates to disappoint anyone....EVER! I was feeling badly that she was stressing out. But no.
She continued "You know, I just don't want my foot to pop out or my hair to not go all the way under...what if my hand comes up?!?!" How funny, she just wanted to get it right the first time. She HATES to get anything wrong! Matt jumped in and assured her that she was lucky to have a Dad who is one of the best "dunkers" around and he shoved her down to the ground and quickly back up, no worries Elle! It gave me a good laugh because she was reassured instantly!

She did still insist on wearing piggy tails...to help with the hair floating up problem! Crack me up!

What a happy day! She picked out this material and the pattern to go with it. "Long Princess Sleeves" she insisted! What a cutie, glad I got it right.

Papa and Oma were able to make it all the way from Utah. Ellery had asked Papa to confirm her, I thought it was precious. It was extra nice to have Matt's sister Beth and her wonderful husband Jason come with their two kiddos. That was all the family that came so we were small in numbers, but it was great. I think sometimes we used to take for granted living in Utah when so much family would gladly take time to come support us in big events like this. It is a good lesson and I dearly miss the big old Hunter Fam!! But such a wonderful day!! What a blessing the Gospel truly is and how exciting it is to see my little ones slowly and steadily gaining their own testimonies. Life sure is good!

It was definitely a busy day. I found out 3 days earlier that I had to speak in sacrament meeting. Then my Mom and I both spoke at the baptism and Taite and Bailey sang the cutest duet ever! Good job girlies!

10 comments:

TheShippenFamily said...

Congratulations Ellery!! That is so special she could get baptised on her bday and all by herself!

Michelle said...

Did you make her dress? That is beautiful!! You are such a great mom. I'm glad it was a wonderful day for you!!

Ashlee said...

That is so awesome. I can't believe Ellery is 8! Such a special time. How quickly time flies.

Harmony said...

What a great day! Just think, it's the first of many more to come. I love that you get to have such a big family!

Lindsay and Mike said...

So Sweet! Congrats Ellery!

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

That is so wonderful that she was able to be baptized on her birthday. That is special. She looks so adorable. My Orion had the same concerns about being baptized which I thought was funny.

easleyfamily said...

Congrats Elly! We love you and miss you and are so proud of your decision to be baptized. What a beautiful girl!

Hunter Haven said...

Papa & I were so thrilled to participate in your baptism. We have made a promise to each other that we will move heaven & earth to make it to all our grandchildren's baptisms.

Also, I have a new computer. Guess what is my "home page" on the internet?? You got it: the Johnsonfamdamily blogsite. It's pure joy to see your faces & the music is wonderful, too.

love you all dearly, Oma

partypatt said...

Ellery, congratulations on your baptism! You looked so pretty! I couldn't read most of what was written because of that HO HO HO banner...it obliterates the writing beneath it...but I'm glad I got to see the pictures!

The Johnson Family said...

Oh man, sorry Pat! We must have very different screens. The banner goes right outside of all the writing on mine...I'll have to change that! Merry Christmas All!