Thursday, September 29, 2011

Dead Horse Point, Arches & Goblin Valley

So what fantastic planning was this I ask you, to drive as far as we did for 3 days non stop and then go camping for 3 days!! Great idea right? I don't know what I was thinking, but I should have taken a little break before diving in and camping with my 5 kiddos without Mattie. It was super fun though, regardless of my exhaustion. We met Papa, Uncle Lloyd, Megan and Logan, Uncle Max and Aunt Sophy, Luke and Phal in Moab to begin our camping fun.

I was trying to keep my pregnancy a secret until Matt was in Utah to tell everyone with me and camping actually made for easy morning sickness habitat as I could turn and puke in a bush without much attention :) But I know everyone was wondering why I was SO exhausted.

First stop, Dead Horse Point.

The kids were amazed by this huge cliff. I on the other hand was hyperventilating most of the time because I just knew my monkey of a child Gus was going to climb up and over! He did try, but thank heavens the guards are pretty high for a 2 year old and I had plenty of adults to help me out. Someone was on "Gus duty" at all times! It was an awesome day.

Best cousins reunited. Ellery and Megan have such a bond and it was so fun to watch them reconnect.

Aunt Sophy and Phal...or Phally-wog as I call him always.

The kids were captivated with where this park got its name. Cowboys in the 19th century used to use the huge cliff as a natural corral and would drive wild horse herds to the cliff to easily round them up. When the corral was finally abandoned, they left the gates open but the heard that was inside the corral at the time wouldn't leave and they died without water. The kids thought that was so cool. It is a beautiful place.



Arches


Next stop, Arches. I love Arches! This park is amazing, I've been here many times and it is always fun. It was so fun to see the kids so amazed at the sheer size of these arches and then excited that they get to go climb on them. This is Double Arch, spectacular.

Here the kids and Uncle Max are at the very top right under the big arch.

Beautiful blue sky.

They thought that Elephants were hilarious. I didn't really take pictures of much else, but they had so much fun!


Goblin Valley

Last camping stop was Goblin Valley. I remember this place from when I was little, it is like a giant playground for kids to climb, hide and explore like crazy. It is awesome. We brought our walkie talkies and had a blast. This place is enormous.

See my crazy, climbin' fool of a brother up at the top!
The kids were very impressed with Uncle Max's skills :)


See how enormous this place is?!! Those cliffs Max was standing on are the second highest range in this picture below. All those rock formations in front are what make this place heaven for the kids...endless climbing!

I just knew little man here was going to do exactly this, wander off on an adventure of his own. He'd be lost forever in this maze of Goblins. Gus duty again :)

The whole gang.

It was over a hundred degrees and we were dying by the end!! I asked Uncle Lloyd to carry me too, I can't believe he said no.
The Hades-like conditions were ridiculous for the secretly pregnant lady, but it was still worth it!

Pit stops :)

I LOVE this kid!!


We were all pooped from our adventure in the hot sun.

Look how sweaty he was by the time we made it back!

We had a blast!

Next we were off to the house in St. George, we should have gone there for a nice relaxing rest before camping, but oh well. I love going to St. George because I get to catch up with several of my cousins and their cute kids and it's just beautiful. From there we finally headed up to Alpine to Oma and Papa's house!! What a week :)

No comments: